Wednesday, September 1, 2010

To err is human but to make a really big mistake you need a foreigner.

I am pleased to announce that my thinking that Sinae and I might separate was a complete misunderstanding that, fortunately, didn't lead to a broken relationship. We eventually discovered that we both thought the other person wanted to break up with us and now we are really happy. These seems analogous to what happened when Mom got really.

Perhaps there is a lesson here about treasuring the things we have and more importantly, the relationships we have while we have them before we lose them. I've learned this with Mom and Sinae but I think I could improve in this area with other family members.

I think with all of this behind me, it's time to get back to talk about life in South Korea and other things I've been thinking about.

2 comments:

Leland Dirks said...

Sooooo... it's been a bit since I've read your blog... you've been busy!

About your dream of helping the unfortunate/poor/uneducated.... you're not alone... but remember to take one step at a time... I know you're not Catholic, but your dream is very close to Mother Teresa's calling... you might pick up a book of hers and read... sometimes the most important gift you can give someone is a morsel of food... sometimes a tarp to cover up with on rainy nights...

As for you and your beloved... maybe it's time to sit down and have a talk about 'fights' or 'discussions' or whatever the word is for the two of you... I think it's crucial to the longevity of a relationship that you not think every disagreement brings the threat of splitting up... are you at the point where you wouldn't leave unless something really, really huge came up? Then acknowledge that to each other... that unless you say out loud that you are threatening to leave, that it's safe to have a disagreement....

Each of you needs to decide whether you have enough confidence in your relationship/each other that it will last....

Of course, this advice comes from your single uncle....

Brent Dirks said...

Well, it's nice to hear from you. I'll add a book from/about Mother Teresa to my long list of books to read. For now, I've started teaching students English who don't necessarily have that opportunity, coming from homes that may not be able to afford to send them to high-priced academies. This is bringing me some fulfillment to do something. And don't worry about equating me with a Catholic vision. I'm almost as open-minded as you.:)

I think there'll be an interesting blog for you to read after I post it in a few minutes. This relationship is surviving a lot of issues and my heart has been renewed tonight. I'm trying to figure out a way to deal with this so that I don't forget it (This relationship), like hanging up a picture of Sinae or a letter she wrote or reading what she has written me or something else.

I hope this isn't too personal for a blog. And I owe you a serious read on your blog since you've done so much on mine.