Saturday, September 18, 2010

Loving the sinner and hating the sin

Here is a report of yet another victory in my relationship with Sinae which seems to have a parallel with what Jesus (as it stands in my mind Jesus taught this either both in words and actions or at least by actions) taught about loving the sinner but hating the sin.

Sinae and I discovered a cultural difference (Either a difference between Korean and American culture or at least a difference between our own frames of mind) regarding chatting online with people we've never met. Of course I didn't think there was anything wrong with this, particularly because I've heard a lot of good explanations about Korean or about Asian culture. But in the end I chose my relationship with Sinae as being more important than these virtual relationships. As part of our victory, I decided to delete those women I've chatted with whom I've never met in person.

My Uncle Leland reminded me of the difference between not being able to accept a part of a person's life (i.e. chatting) and not being able to accept the person. I'm not sure I've ever experienced this paradox in real life comparable to what I experienced yesterday and a little bit today.

Now that I've deleted those contacts I hope that this dilemma will be one that only exists in our memories and hopefully that memory will become less and less, and by God's grace, hopefully it will never resurface again.

Love the sinner but hate the sin...what a stark contrast. How does this work?

No comments: