Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Latest on Mom

It's been a while since I wrote anything about how Mom is doing. Since I just talked to her on the phone, I figured this might be a good time to give you the latest.

Mom is no longer using a wound vac. Because of a yeast infection they took the wound vac off of Mom and once the infection was gone they said Mom no longer needed the wound vac.

This does not mean that Mom's incision is completely healed. It still has another inch until it has grown completely together. I think Mom is a little concerned that this isn't happening as fast as when I was sick but I suspect that a difference in age and procedures has a little bit to do with this. Mom is still seeing some puss in her incision but apparently this is no reason for concern as far as the doctors are concerned.

Mom is still on medicine for reducing her blood sugar. Mom's blood sugar is usually low unless she has something sweet. I'm hopeful that this means she will be released from the blood sugar pill.

When I called Mom and Dad last Sunday night (American time) they were driving around and planning on going shopping. These are all very good signs to me and Mom seems to look forward to these outings. I think her anticipation to get outside of the house is a good sign as far as her health is concerned.

The second surgery hasn't been confirmed yet, but it will probably be sometime in January or February. Mom is hoping for sometime in February since her birthday is in January and she doesn't want to be bogged down during that time. She's also itching to take care of her granddaughters again.

While it is has been difficult for Mom with Dad and Bruce working so much and me being in another country, JoAnn has been good about going to help Mom in the afternoon and Mom has a friend, Laurie, who is a nurse who has been a Godsend for Mom.

No comments: