Sunday, August 1, 2010

TCU: Day (I'm not sure how many now)

I think I missed a day or two in keeping this blog up to date. Things feel like they are progressing a little more slowly and there hasn't been too much excitement so perhaps I felt less of a need to update this blog. Thanks to my Uncle Leland for asking me about Mom to remind me to post something here.

It seems that Mom has a problem with bleeding when she is on the blood thinner called Coumadin. A doctor who came in to see Mom today said he thought it may be because of Mom's hemorrhoids which were discovered ten years ago. Her nurse gave her a suppository and she seems to be doing better now though she has been sleeping a lot today.

Mom's progress seems to be coming right along though it seems to be going rather slow. But for being in the hospital for a little over two weeks, she has come a long way. I saw her walk without a walker today and I heard the PT say that she doesn't think Mom needs a walker anymore. Of course the nurses still have her use her walker to go to the bathroom and that sort of thing, probably just for safety.

Sometimes Mom seems discouraged because of how long the process of recovery is and how tired she gets. I came to visit her at 6:30 tonight and after we had some casual conversation she fell into a deep sleep and didn't wake up until Dad came around 8.

The doctor who came to see her today told her he thought she would probably be going home soon but he didn't specify how long "soon" would be. I think I have said before that the people taking care of Mom's incision are going to have a meeting on Tuesday to see about how they should advise Mom to take care of her incision. Because of the wound vac, she has to change the sponge once every three days. They would like her to do that but she is not sure she can handle that. They also need to train her on how to take care of her colostomy bag. So I would imagine it will be a few days left. I think we'd all be satisfied if she could be ready to come home by early next week. Notice I said "ready". We don't want to rush her coming home so that she has to be re-admitted to the hospital.

In response to my dilemma a week ago, I found a way to go to church today while also being with my mom in the morning. I thought that if I could find a church that has a service at 8am I could receive grace while also extending it to my mom. Then I remembered a church that I have driven by many Sundays through the years in my hometown because it is the way to the church I grew up in. Since that church doesn't have an 8am service and other reasons (I like the Anglican tradition which I have experienced in America and Korea and I wanted to receive grace through communion) I decided to go to Trinity Episcopal Church. The Rector talked about how we really cannot call anything "our own", which reminded me what a gift both Mom and Sinae, among other people and things" are to me and that I don't have a "right" to any of the relationships or the people or things that are in my life now. After I received communion I went to one of the prayer ministry teams to ask them to pray for my mom. The Rector also told me to come back if I can make the commute from South Korea to my hometown in America (This was a funny joke at the time).

4 comments:

Leland Dirks said...

Thanks for the update.... it must be a family thing to worry when you don't hear anything....

Glad you found a nice Episcopal congregation there... and I'm glad they welcomed you with open arms... I'm curious how Sinae feels about Episcopal/Anglican services?

Your mom and your whole family remain in my prayers...

Brent Dirks said...

Yeah...well, I think you have good reason to worry when you don't hear anything. I think you know what I mean.

Sinae is very open to Anglican services but they are a bit foreign to her since she is used to Presbyterian services. She knows I find grace in an Anglican setting and she is sensitive to that, though I'm not sure she finds grace in the same setting.

Thanks for your prayers. Can I pray for you, too?

Leland Dirks said...

I can use all the prayers that people offer up.so yes, I appreciate that.... and I hope the news today about your mom continues to be good....

I wonder if there are any books on the Anglican tradition in Korean that would help Sinae understand why you find it filled with grace?

Brent Dirks said...

Hmm...that is an interesting question. I'll have to check it out. What kind of book would you buy in English? Perhaps that has been translated into Korean.