Tuesday, July 27, 2010

When things get bumpy...

Things were looking really good with Mom this morning. After getting 2 pints of blood last night she was stronger and she even walked to the bathroom mostly on her own. She felt a lot better after that. One of the CNAs said that she turned a major corner.

Then I went to get some TV dinners for the family business and that's when my wheels started squeaking somewhere. I stopped at Brakes Plus, which was on the way to Wal-Mart (Just so you know, I was spending someone else's money and they wanted me to go to Wal-Mart). They didn't have time to look at my car then so they recommended I make an appointment. I asked for a card and said I'd call later if I want to make an appointment. I proceeded on to Wal-Mart to buy 26 TV dinners. Mom tried calling me once but she couldn't hear me because of the bad reception (I still don't understand this concept after living in Korea). I proceeded to select TV dinners and as I was waiting to pay for the tv dinners Mom called me again and told me she was bleeding. I finished buying the food, called JoAnn to see what she thought I should do, and then I executively decided to put the food in the freezer and then come to the hospital.

When I got here, a doctor was examining Mom so the nurse asked me (More like, told me) to stay outside the room. He then contacted the surgeon (who by the way has a very good reputation among the nurses and the doctor who examined her today). We are waiting for the blood test and the surgeon to finish surgery (That is, we are waiting for the blood test results and we are waiting for the surgeon to finish doing surgery on a patient, just in case there are any wisenheimers out there).

Mom is feeling a little more relaxed after the nurse told her that when she used the restroom she only lost an amount of blood equivalent to a woman's period. This helped Mom relax some, though she is feeling pain like she felt before she had surgery.

Thanks for your prayers.

4 comments:

Leland Dirks said...

26 TV dinners? Wow! Somebody must be hungry....

Keep focusing on the good news... and help your mom focus on that, too...

Brent Dirks said...

For the record, those are NOT for me. It's kind of embarrassing buying TV dinners without anything else. That's what Dad eats when he works late. Do you know the story of how this got started?

I have some good news I'll be posting in a minute.

Leland Dirks said...

But 26? Good grief! and the amount of sodium and cholesterol in most of those things!

I think it got started with an uncle of your dad's, but I'm not sure...

Glad for the good news today!

Brent Dirks said...

Well there was a long debate about whether or not Dad needed a microwave for when he works late. When Grandma and Kenneth got him convinced, he latched on to the concept of tv dinners. I was never such a fan myself but I guess that's what you do when you have to work late unless you prepare your own or go home for dinner and then go back to work. What SHOULD we do in circumstances like these?