Saturday, July 17, 2010

She's Fine

I am pleased to share the good news that Mom came through the surgery in better condition than the surgeon expected. I would like to make mention of the fact that the surgeon is a woman. What a great thing for a woman to not only be able to have this kind of job but also to be superior at her job. I wish we would've given her applause for the work she did. But I guess we were so numb from everything that we were just glad she came through.

She still has the blood clot and she will be put on blood thinner for the next 6 months and after that they will remove the bag and connect the two pieces of her large intestine. The surgeon removed approximately one foot of Mom's large intestine and said that once Mom recovers she expects Mom to live a normal life, perhaps more normal than she did before.

She is in ICU now and she will hopefully be awake tomorrow morning. Dad and Bruce are in there now. I feel like I should sing the Hallelujah chorus, though the battle is not over. However, this is a HUGE victory. And I am thankful to God for hearing the prayers of many a people, a true testimony of God's love, grace, and forgiveness. I think Mom went into surgery feeling guilty for not taking care of her body and I trust she's going to wake up with gratitude for the grace to experience a second chance at life. She does have a long road and I trust that we will all remember that along the way.

I think that while I sing the Hallelujah chorus I'm going to shed tears of joy and thankfulness for this second chance at life and I intend to live my life differently and love my mother deeper than ever before.

No comments: