Saturday, October 19, 2013

Reading Report #5

I came across, "The Shack" when I visited America alone because Sinae had to stay in Korea that summer to focus on her thesis. Her advisor told her, "If you want to graduate, then you better stay in Korea". She wanted to graduate so she stayed in Korea. I went to target and I bought several books, this being one of them and another being "The Help". I'm currently reading another book I bought that day. By the way, when I returned to Korea, I had to reorganize my books in my carry-on luggage in order to not have to pay the surcharge of $150 or whatever in order to compensate for an overweight bag. I don't have a lot to say about this book because I think it speaks for itself. I started this book at the airport in Denver the night before Sinae and I returned to Korea this last summer (I'll hopefully be posting some pictures about that soon). I enjoyed reading this book for the simple reason that it is a conversation with God. I suppose one could argue that some of the language is oversimplified. I presumed this book was not written for philosophers and theologians in the academic sense but for "lay theologians" or those struggling in their faith. I was one of those. I appreciated the relational aspect of the book throughout and the writer's attempt to deal with tough questions like, "Where is God when there is suffering" and the relationship between God and time. Even though I think the write took a more traditional approach, I think he pushed that envelope enough to make readers think without pushing them over the edge. This is a good book especially for those who have had a tragedy that they couldn't understand or for those who earnestly pray (or want to pray) but can't seem to hear God's voice.

No comments: