Saturday, October 19, 2013

Reading Report #3

I heard a lot about Carl Gustav Jung from Sinae while she was doing her graduate studies in Art Psycho-therapy. Just to show you how desperately I needed to start reading books in my own language, I sometimes got into arguments with Sinae about whether Jung was right. Granted, the conversations were about difficult content in my second language (Unless you count Hebrew, Greek and Spanish, in which case Korean would be my sixth language but I think I know more about Korean than I do any other language besides English of course), but I still think I am guilty as charged. Ironically, as Sinae and I were at Harvard Square in Boston, we stumbled upon a used bookstore. I believe it was called, Raven's Used Bookstore. There were several good books there. I will tell you all about them later. But for now, one of those books was this book apparently translated. I found myself enjoying Jung (By the way, I take it that the 'u' is a long 'u'. Korean is very useful at this point) much more than I thought. Again, I don't don't want to regurgitate Jung but there are some points worth commenting on. 1. I like Jung's style of keeping psychology and faith in tension. I had a conversation with someone on YouTube in the comment bar who was getting other Christians excited by saying they were believing in a myth. This person claimed that science disproves God's existence but Jung offers a scientific yet counter-argument to that. 2. One of the more difficult aspects to follow was Jung's discussion of dreams. This is so long that I think I stretched it out over such a long time that I couldn't follow the main point. 3. One part that seemed the most relevant to me and what I do was where Jung compared easterners with westerners. Now before you read further, keep in mind that Sinae and I had a disagreement about this part. Jung said that easterners are more introverted than westerners are. Now this might be a generalization but I think it is true. From what I see, people are more reserved in Korea than they are in America. But of course there are some people in Korea who are more talkative than people in America and vice versa. You get the sense that I need to do more reading here? 4. An interesting read for me was Jung's work on Job. One thing I find comical about this part was that Jung seemed to spend more time talking about the entire bible than he did about the book of Job itself. Although Jung comes across as a skeptic in the beginning, I think his perspective is needed given the way that he seeks to interpret the book of Job and then he comes full circle to a rational faith position.

No comments: