Saturday, October 19, 2013

A book I recommend

My dad's younger brother (not to be confused with his youngest brother) lived in Denver for a number of years. I suppose people thought he would retire there. He certainly had developed quite a circle of friends and lived in a nice house in a nice part of the city (Well, I liked it when I visited). Then one day, he started to make plans to build a house in the middle of nowhere. To be honest, I think a lot of people thought he had lost his mind (I confess that I was one of them). People simply couldn't understand why a person would leave comfort for discomfort. Apparently, he wasn't the first person to do such a thing. But unlike others who have tried the same and failed, he has been very successful. Not only has he built his own home (I only hope that his parents can see what he is doing now) and built a new circle of friends, but he has also become a professional writer. That makes me proud which is why I introduced his book to my students before E-Cafe (It's not so much a cafe as it is a big room with a mixed-coffee dispenser and a place for students to sit and practice their English with a "native speaker") one day. I hope you'll consider buying this book to see just a little bit more why someone would want to leave the city (I'll confess, that as much as I like cities I have a hard time comprehending why people want to live in the country but perhaps my day will come too) to be in a place where they can have as much solitude as they want. You can buy the book in an electronic or in a hard-copy version at www.blurb.com.

No comments: