Friday, August 10, 2012

We are the World

The last song I heard tonight at an English Camp talent contest at the university where I currently work was "We are the World". I guess this song is also by Michael Jackson. I remember singing this song during Vacation Bible School when I was a child and how upset my family was that we were learning to sing a secular song in church which we eventually performed in a service while the pastor was gone. My mind went a few different directions. On the one hand, with all the references to "love" in this song and the others that students sang, I thought it could pass for a Christian song. But then I thought of how love has become this safe word that is embraced by all. And I wondered if Christians could capitalize on this message by inviting people to partake of the Kingdom that takes seriously the issues of this world. I was also troubled by some lyrics and the introduction to the song that seemed to suggest that if we would just throw money at the world's problems that those problems will go away. As one who was born and raised in the richest country in the world, which also has its own issues of poverty, I felt hopeless about the answer to such problems. One of my most highly-esteemed university professors once told me to spit on the fire if I have a burden for it. That thought came to mind. I like to think that what people living in poverty need more than money or pity is time. In my thinking people need time to build relationships with someone who says, "I don't care how much money you have or don't have. I'm not going to try to fix you. I just want to be your friend and to be a part of your life if you will let me in." Is there a counterargument to this?

No comments: