Friday, August 10, 2012

A Reflection on a Performance of "Heal the World"

I'm not particularly much of a fan of Michael Jackson, whether it be his early life or late life, early career or late. I didn't even know that he sang a song about doing something about the world. And it was that song that nearly brought me to tears tonight. I'm not sure I would announce this publicly under most circumstances but since I am moving to another university, and this seems to be a way in which I can successfully express my feelings, I'd like to take a few minutes to think about it. First, I think the song was merely representative of some symbolism of what I've experienced at Korea Nazarene University over the last 4 1/2 years. Actually, the first time I heard this song was after I came to Korea and worked with one university student who was majoring in Elementary Special Education. She was one of my T.A.s for a Saturday English class we were teaching. After I heard the song, my heart was strangely warmed because it seemed to match my desire to help the oppressed. Tonight I was reminded again of the song as I watched a group of children participating in English Camp perform that song. One of the T.A.s who teach that class is one of my university students. I presumed the song came from her which reminded me of all her peers whose department I used to teach in. It reminded me of all those students learning about how to teach children or middle school/high school students with special needs and how much they want to change the world. Thinking of the fact that I have had the opportunity to interact with people who probably will change the world by changing their students' lives, gave me a sense of sorrow as I look to go to a new university and a sense of satisfaction over the last four-and-a-half years I have taught at this university.

No comments: