Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Something else to do when I have more time

Today I did less free-talking than usual. This was nice in a way because it gave me a chance to do other things. But I still didn’t get ahead on my lesson plans like I was hoping. I’m afraid this means I’ll be spending another weekend preparing for lessons. It would seem like I could get this done during the week but it is very difficult for some reason. I can’t seem to kick that procrastinating tendency to put things off until the last minute.

Things were different today in many ways. I didn’t have my morning “Bible-study” because this is Mid-Terms week and we didn’t meet so students could spend more time studying. I hope they also took a chance to rest. I think it is interesting that I often see two students hanging out together a lot. I’m curious if this has something to do with the early morning program they are involved in. I guess that is one plus of the program.

I successfully studied Korean again tonight even though the productivity factor was lacking since I didn’t get started until it was late. But I think the practice of studying Korean is important even if I am not able to give as much energy to it as I would like. I’m starting to entertain the notion of an intensive Korean class when I get the opportunity. Of course the enthusiasm seems to taper off once I realize how expensive it is to take such a class. But I’m not seeing how I can learn Korean in a more efficient manner.

I learned today about the “Central Library” near the main subway station in the city where I live. I found out about it through the group of people I “teach” English to on Monday and Wednesday nights. This gave me an idea of a place to go on Sunday afternoons. It seems that one thing I do if I have free-time is to just go home. When I go home, I sometimes get sad as I am alone for the first time all day. This is sometimes a blessing and sometimes it seems to be a curse, especially as I continue to recover from a broken relationship. Since I’m working on a project about Korean culture and teaching English I think this just might be a good place to visit on Sunday afternoon or whenever I get some free-time. There is also a library even closer to where I live where I might be more productive in getting work done. I guess there are lots of things a person can do when one says no. But I didn’t say no, so I guess I have to remember this as I try to figure out a way to modify my free-talking schedule.

No comments: