Monday, October 3, 2016

"Foreigner"

I have lived in South Korea for over eight years now and there is still one word that gives me goosebumps every time I hear it: "foreigner". I remember when I first came here and I had children call me 외국인 (the Korean word for "foreigner). I eventually called them 한국인 (the Korean word for "Korean") but I don't think it had the same effect. Within the last few years, I've heard students speak of the people who are citizens of the countries they visit (i.e. the UK) as "foreigners" and I remind them that when they went to the UK they were the "foreigners". I took the picture above when I was in a bit of a bad mood. I don't remember the issue but obviously I felt sour about Koreans and general. I took this picture at the largest amusement/theme park in South Korea called "Everland". I presume the intention was originally good that there is a special place for people from other countries to get assistance. But while recognizing the potentially good intention, being in a bad mood it made me think of this almost as segregation like, "The same office that serves Koreans can't serve non-Koreans". I think I'm going to show students this picture as evidence that there are others ways to go about this. I recommend saying "people from other countries" or "non-Koreans". Even though non-Koreans living in South Korea refer to themselves as foreigners sometimes I think this expression should be avoided especially in professional cirucmstances. Instead of "foreigners" why not say, "International Assistance"? Or better yet, why not have the same office serve people from all countries, including South Koreans? If English truly is as important as South Koreans seem to think it is, that wouldn't be an unrealistic expectation.

No comments: