Saturday, May 2, 2009

A Bizarre Day

Today was a bizarre kind of day. It started out good. I woke up about eight or nine hours after I went to sleep. Unfortunately I didn’t sleep very well. I felt like I was on top of the mountain when I woke up. Then I got distracted by calling a friend in America. The conversation was very worthwhile but I got my mind off of what I was doing. After I finished talking with him I chatted for several hours with another friend. Again, this conversation was worthwhile but it didn’t help me in getting my work done.

I was dreading writing a sermon because of my chronic perfectionistic tendencies. This was heightened by the difficulty of writing a sermon that is usually difficult for people to understand. So I read through some commentaries and then decided to take a nap. I had to drag myself out of bed at 6 to write the sermon. I wondered if I was writing it in vain since the copy center closed. At 7:30 or so I headed to the university campus to see if they were still open and sure enough they were closed.

On my way to the university I ran into one of my colleagues and his wife. He suggested to me that I print off my sermon at a PC bang (aka a computer/internet cafe). He also invited me to stop by their apartment to get some books I asked about before. Since the copy center was closed I went to Kimbap Nara for some dinner. I’m trying to branch out to other restaurants when I am alone but I chose this restaurant since I’m familiar with it and I was relatively close to it. When I ordered the waitress asked me something I didn’t understand. I understood 괜찮아요? (okay) so I said “yes”. It all seemed to work out okay since the meal was good.

After that, I went to the PC bang to print off my sermon. I had some difficulties printing it off at the computer so the guy at the desk let me print it off from his computer. As I was paying for it, he asked me where I live. I told him and he said that he would like to become friends with a foreigner. Alarms went off inside of me while at the same time I was excited about the fact that someone might want to be friends with me. So I said I am looking for a Korean friend and that I am not interested in teaching English. He seemed to be okay with that. We will see. One of my uncles, the paternal uncle who still talks to me, told me once that if I am out and about I might find a friend where I least expected to find one.

After that I went to my colleague’s apartment and his wife offered me ice cream. I think I got there around 8:30 and I left at 10:30. This was an interesting conversation in many ways.

I spent most of the day in my apartment and I didn’t get very much done. I was hoping to grade mid-terms and add more words to my Korean vocabulary list but I didn’t get either of those things done. The highlight of the day was definitely hanging out tonight with a colleague and his wife. It’s amazing how being with people changes my attitude towards myself.

No comments: