Friday, June 28, 2024

"Holes": A Book Review

 Holes (Holes Series): Louis Sachar, Vladimir Radunsky, Bagram Ibatoulline:  8601234593263: Amazon.com: Books

This picture is from https://www.amazon.com/Holes-Louis-Sachar/dp/0440414806.


I saw this movie with one of my Uncle Kenneth at a curious time, after my paternal grandmother passed away. It was the first time this uncle and I saw a movie at a movie theater, and the only time. I didn't know much about it. I was a university student at the time. I don't remember it having much of an impact on me. But the experience with my uncle was certainly meaningful. I've never forgotten it.

Recently, I read the book. My wife purchased a bunch of books for my 9-year-old son to read. But the problem is, he is not reading them too aggressively, so I've been reading them to encourage him to read them. That's not having a lot of effect so far. Currently he and I are tied.

I have to say, I enjoyed the book much more than the movie. The main character is Stanley Yelnats (You bright ones will notice that his last name is his first name spelled backwards and vice versa). He was at the wrong place at the wrong time and was accused of stealing a famous athletes shoes. 

The judge gave him the choice of going to jail or "camp." He and his parents chose the latter. The boys at this so-called camp have one task everyday, to dig a hole five feet deep by five feet high. Once they dig one hole, they are done for the day and the rest of the time is theirs. 

Child abuse? Of course! And that's why the "camp" eventually gets shutdown. The timing of it is curious. A boy whose alias is "Zero" runs away from the camp. He is actually the boy who stole the shoes that fell on Stanley. A few days later, Stanley worried about him dying in the desert and so he went looking for him.

Surprisingly, he found him and they went up a mountain Stanley was curious about, stayed there for a few days where they found water and then they went down the mountain and returned to camp. While they were gone, a lawyer arrived at the camp to rescue Stanley. 

Stanley could have just left on his own but he was worried about Zero. So it worked out that Zero went with Stanley, thanks to the attorney. While the Attorney General looked for records, he found there were some peculiarities about this camp that go all the way to the Warden. 

Of course, digging the holes wasn't just for building character in the boys but the Warden wanted to find buried treasure. 

There was a white woman who kissed a black man and he got killed for it. Way back when, it was illegal for an African American to kiss a white woman but the opposite was totally legal (Explain to me how that double-standard works out). 

At this time in my life, I had rarely met African Americans as it was prior to my seminary experience in Kansas City. This part gripped me much more while reading the book than what I remember when I watched the movie.

This book reads much like a movie and if you make it to the last five chapters, you will be gripped for the remainder of the book. I haven't read a book that keeps my attention like that for a long time.

This book is highly recommended, though there are a few swear words, which is disappointing given that I  am trying to encourage my son to read it. But aside from that, the plot is good and it will especially grab the typical American boy who likes a story of triumph, where justice is restored.

As for Zero, you'll have to read the book for yourself to find out whether he has to go to jail or juvenile hall or some kind of boys camp for what he wrongfully did. But rest assured, you'll be encouraged.

No comments: